Saturday, November 1, 2014

Overwhelmed

The feeling of being overwhelmed is one I am all too familiar with - and I'm sure others can identify with to some extent. This is not a new word in our vocabulary by any means. I am constantly overwhelmed by the amount of tasks I take on and the responsibilities I claim as my own. My struggle to say no to others and desire to help does not work well when paired with my prideful mindset of "perfection." 


"Perfect" Oh that word and the harm it does. I know I am far from perfect. I can write books on how I won't be until my days in glory. I can talk all day abouthow His strength is made perfect in my weakness. But the struggle remains. My issue is the overwhelming desire to improve and maintain the opinions of others towards me. This overwhelms me. I am a "doer" and constantly strive to prove my worth to others. 

Whose Gospel is that?! 

There is nothing I can do to redeem myself or make myself any more worthy that I am now. Praise Jesus for His redemption, because I would make a lousy savior with how often I mess up. 

So why is it so hard to rest in this grace? This unbelievable and scandalous grace. Because I overwhelm myself with things in this world and struggle so much to keep my eyes on heaven. 

One definition Webster uses for "overwhelm" is "to affect someone very strongly." It is easy to relate this negatively to our everyday struggles and striving a for worth and identity. The challenging question is - How often am I overwhelmed by God? 

God calls for us to bring Him glory, and part of that is recognizing that we have received His grace by no work of our own. Nothing I can do to "earn" me any more love and acceptance from Him. He calls for us to come to Him, lay down our burdens, and walk with Him. Rest in Him. 

Matthew 11:28-30 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

No comments:

Post a Comment